2023 marks the tenth year for the Kites on the Green event in Johnston, Iowa. It’s being held on Saturday, May 6th at the Johnston Commons Park and features a day full of family fun activities.
When: Saturday, May 6, 2023
Time: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Where: Johnston Commons Park, 6050 Morningside Drive
What kind of kites are featured at Kites on the Green?
At Kites on the Green, you’ll see at least three general types of kites:
- Professional Kites. These are not your normal kites – they are typically really large kites in the shape of animals like fish, whales, horses, and some as other objects like astronauts.
- Stunt Kites. At various times throughout the day, stunt kites will be performing. They are two-line controlled kites and can perform special moves, some of which have crazy names like the turtle, the fade, and the full monty.
- Standard sport kites. In fact, they will have a station available for make n fly kites, where you make your own kite.
Are events scheduled at certain times or do they run all day long?
Technically, the entire event runs from 10am to 5pm and there are both scheduled events and all-day events.
- 10:00 a.m. Opening Ceremonies
- 10:30 a.m. No-Knots Stunt Team Performance
- 11:00 a.m. Live music by Glady’s Lite Band
- 11:30 a.m. Running of the Bol’s/Kite Battles
- 12:30 p.m. Live music by Glady’s Lite Band
- 1:00 p.m. Stunt Kite Demonstrations
- 1:00 p.m. Running of the Bol’s/Kite Battles
- 3:00 p.m. Stunt Kite Demonstrations
- 3:30 p.m. No-Knots Stunt Team Performance
- 5:00 p.m. Closing Ceremonies
Add Day Events
- Giant Show Kite Demonstrations – Show Kite Field
- Free Make-n-Fly Kite Kits – Pick up at Kite Hub
- T-shirts, Kites and More! – Information Tent
- Candy Drop – Show Kite Field
Are there other activities besides kites?
- Inflatable Obstacle Course – East of the Library
- Iowa National Guard Climbing Wall – West of the Library
- Tours of the 1902 Simpson House – Simpson House
- Meet with Police and Fire Dept. – West of the Library
- Sidewalk Chalk – Johnston Commons Cement Pad
- Food Trucks – North of the playground