There’s something truly magical about hand-picking your own fresh flowers. The joy of strolling through vibrant fields, selecting your favorite blooms, and bringing them home to brighten your space is an experience like no other. Luckily, in the picturesque state of Iowa, you’ll find a treasure trove of you-pick flower farms ready to offer you an unforgettable floral adventure. In this article, we’ll explore some of the best you-pick flower farms in Iowa, where you can immerse yourself in nature’s beauty and create stunning bouquets.
Benefits of Visiting You-Pick Flower Farms
Before we dive into our top picks, let’s take a moment to appreciate the many benefits of visiting you-pick flower farms. Surrounding yourself with colorful blooms has a profound effect on the spirit, uplifting moods, and bringing a sense of tranquility. It’s a chance to disconnect from the daily hustle and immerse yourself in the natural beauty of flowers. Plus, by choosing locally grown flowers, you support sustainable farming practices.
If you’re aware of other you-pick flower farms that are not listed – please add them to the comments or send me a message at brian . abeling @gmail.com
You-Pick Flower Farms in Western Iowa
Clovergold Farm, Newell
Location: 1640 Otter Ave, Newell, Iowa
You-pick flowers are available from July through September. Please make a reservation on our website. Bring your own clippers/scissors.
Holland Flower Farm, Sioux Center
Location: 3998 Indian Avenue, Sioux Center
Visit their website for you-pick sessions/options.
Loess Hills Lavender Farm, Missouri Valley
Location: 2278 Loess Hills Trail, Missouri Valley, Iowa
They have weekly hours where they are open to the public and for a small fee you can pick your own lavender!
Alissa’s Flower Farm, Hull
Location: 2710 Hickory Ave, Hull, Iowa
Contact them to find out when they have you-pick time slots.
You-Pick Flower Farms in Central Iowa
Iowa Flower Farm, Maxwell
Location: 11520 NE 110th Ave, Maxwell, IA 50161
You-Pick flowers start mid-June and run through September. Bring your own 5-gallon bucket to carry your flower out. Cutters and gloves are provided.
Willow Flower Farm, Prole
Location: 5119 Harding Street, Prole, Iowa 50299
The farm is only open to the public during specifically listed you-pick hours during the month of July.
Jester Hill Farm, Madrid
Location: 12430 Northwest 128th Street, Madrid, Iowa
Open on Saturdays starting in July. Bring a bucket or container for your flowers, clippers are provided.
Bochner Farms, Indianola
Location: 17072 88th Ave, Indianola, Iowa
The farm is not open to the general public – but you can make reservations for a variety of events including you-pick flowers, farm-to-table dinners, and farm tours.
Minervas Meadow, State Center
Location: State Center, Iowa
Use their contact form to inquire about you-pick options for flowers and lavender.
Rose Farm, Norwalk
Location: 7197 43rd Ave, Norwalk
Visit their website for a number of workshops including culinary, art, floral arrangements, and you-pick lavender
Wild Bird Farm, Madrid
Location: Madrid, Iowa
Three-acre flower farm in Madrid, Iowa offering seasonal flowers. Watch their website and social media accounts for you-pick dates/hours.
Pepper Harrow, Winterset
Location: Winterset, Iowa
Pepper Harrow is NOT open to the general public. It is a working farm and a family home. You must have reservations, which are available on their website for a variety of events, including you-pick flowers.
Iowa Lavender, Ames
Location: 25016 Sand Hill Trail, Ames, Iowa
They do not have general hours where they are open to the public for picking lavender, however, make a reservation and your group can have a private lavender-picking session.
Walnut Trail Farms, Stuart
Location: 2857 Walnut Trail, Stuart, Iowa
Located in Stuart, Iowa they have been open since 2021. Flowers are sold by the bucket, and they provide everything for customers – clippers, carts, buckets, sunscreen, buckets and Floralife packets for customers to take home. The farm is on a beautiful quiet property surrounded by trees and native prairie. On site, we have tables and shade canopies for customers to use for picnics or just relaxing and enjoying the views.
You-Pick Flower Farms in Eastern Iowa
Promise and Blossom, Cedar Rapids
Location: 8602 Spanish Road, Cedar Rapids, Iowa
You-Pick Flower is typically open for specific Saturdays and Sundays between July and September, please check the website and/or call to confirm the dates/times.
Miss Effie’s County Flowers and Garden Stuff, Donahue
Location: 27387 130th Aven, Donahue, Iowa
Weekly public hours starting in June where you can pick your own flowers!
Barnswallow Flowers, Oskaloosa
Location: 2560 Highway 23, Oskaloosa, Iowa
Female-owned and operated flower farm that is closed to the public, unless you have a reservation or there is a specific public event. Contact them for you-pick packages.
Tips for Visiting You-Pick Flower Farms
To make the most of your visit to these delightful you-pick flower farms, keep these tips in mind:
- Dress appropriately: Wear comfortable clothing and footwear suitable for walking in outdoor environments. Sunscreen and a hat are also recommended for protection from the sun.
- Bring necessary tools: It’s a good idea to bring a pair of sharp scissors or pruning shears to cleanly cut the flowers.
- Consider the season: Check with the farms for their availability and recommended picking times for specific flower varieties. Each season brings its own colorful blooms, so plan your visit accordingly.
- Respect the farm and flowers: Follow any guidelines provided by the farm, such as designated picking areas and rules for handling the flowers. Treat the flowers with care to ensure their longevity and the experience of future visitors.
Caring for You-Picked Flowers
Once you’ve gathered your bouquet of freshly picked flowers, it’s essential to provide them with proper care to ensure their longevity and beauty. Here are some tips to help you care for your you-picked flowers:
- Importance of Proper Flower Care: Treating your flowers with care from the moment you pick them will ensure they stay vibrant and fresh for longer. Handle them gently to avoid damaging the petals or stems.
- Harvesting Techniques: When cutting flowers, use sharp scissors or pruning shears to make clean, angled cuts. This helps the flowers continue to take up water and nutrients effectively.
- Water and Storage Recommendations: Place your freshly picked flowers in a bucket or vase filled with clean, lukewarm water as soon as possible. Remove any leaves that will be submerged in the water to prevent bacterial growth. Keep the flowers in a cool, shaded area away from direct sunlight, drafts, or ripening fruit.
- Creative Flower Arrangement Ideas: Once your flowers are properly cared for, it’s time to unleash your creativity and arrange them in stunning displays. Experiment with different vase shapes and sizes, mix and match colors and textures, and consider adding foliage or other natural elements to enhance the arrangement. Let your imagination bloom!
Exploring the best you-pick flower farms in Iowa is a delightful way to connect with nature, support local farmers, and bring home a beautiful bouquet of freshly picked flowers. These farms offer an immersive experience, allowing you to connect with the vibrant colors, scents, and beauty of nature firsthand.
Remember, the joy of you-pick flower farms extends beyond the act of picking flowers. It’s about embracing the therapeutic benefits of being surrounded by nature, gaining knowledge about different flower varieties, and fostering a connection to the local community.
So, seize the opportunity to visit these enchanting farms, stroll through fields of blooming flowers, and hand-pick your own bouquet. Take the time to care for your flowers properly, ensuring their longevity and the enjoyment they bring to your space. Share your experiences and favorite you-pick flower farms with others, as we all seek to celebrate the beauty and joy that nature offers.
Now, armed with tips for caring for your you-picked flowers and a newfound appreciation for Iowa’s flower farms, it’s time to embark on your floral adventure. Embrace the serenity, fill your home with nature’s splendor, and let the colors and fragrances of freshly picked flowers brighten your days.
Happy you-pick flower farm exploration!